Beginning in 1868, thousands of black powder Colt revolvers and Remington percussion revolvers were converted to cartridge revolvers. Among them: the 1851 Navy, 1858 New Army, and 1860 Army. In 1871, Colt received an Army contract to convert one thousand Model 1860 Army percussion revolvers to use the .44-caliber centerfire cartridge being manufactured at the Frankford Arsenal. The 1860 Army Conversion revolver frames had to be fitted with spacers in order to function properly and safely with the shortened cartridge conversion cylinders. Conversion revolvers were fitted with ejector rods, a necessity for removing fired casings from their cylinders. Uberti conversion revolver frames are retro-fitted with loading gates to accommodate metallic cartridges, exactly like the originals. A case-hardened frame and a brass backstrap are standard. This revolver comes with the original factory cardboard box. Its grips, its metal, and its bore are all in very good condition.