The PPS-43C (Pistolet-Pulemet Sudaeva, model of 1943 = Sudaev SMG) was born as an answer to the need for a weapon that is more compact and mobile than the PPSh-41, then in use by the Soviet Army. The PPSh-41 was somewhat too long to be used by tank crews and mobile recon groups and paratroopers, so late in 1941, the Red Army issued a request for a new more compact sub machine gun (SMG). The designer Sudaev initially designed his new SMG in 1942, and it was adopted under the designation of PPS-42. The next year he refined the design, and this final model was designated as the PPS-43. This model was manufactured in significant numbers (nearly two million PPS-43 weapons were manufactured between 1943 and 1946). The PPS-43 is sometimes referred to as the best SMG of World War II. After WWII, it was widely exported to pro-Soviet regimes around the world, and widely copied.