The Colt Single Action Army revolver, alternately known as the Peacemaker, Model P, or Frontier, is the most popular handgun on the American Frontier and the definitive firearm of the Old West. The Single Action Army action is a refinement of the earlier Colt percussion revolvers and the Colt 1871 cartridge revolver. The cylinder is mounted on a central axis and operated by a hand with a double finger whose more extended action allowed the cylinder-ratchet to be cut in a larger circle, giving more torsional force to the cylinder.
This 1875-manufacutured revolver falls within the group of pistols that were known to have been issued to the 7th Cavalry in the fall of 1876 to replace revolvers lost on June 25th and 26th, 1876, at the Battle of Little Bighorn. The revolver is a scarce dual-inspected example with the small "C" mark of Ordnance Sub-Inspector A.P. Casey stamped on the underside of the barrel, the end of the ejector housing, the trigger guard, backstrap, the rear face of the cylinder, in the hammer well above the firing pin hole, and on the heel of the left side of the grip. The barrel underside is stamped with an "A," meaning it was inspected by O.W. Ainworth. The left side of the frame is marked with the early, two-date in two-line patent marking followed by the "U.S." property mark. The revolver's grips, metal, and bore are all in very good condition.